SSE Airtricity U17 League 2017 , Game 3 , UCD 1-1 Kerry

Sunday 09th April 2017
UCD  1-1 Kerry .
Kerry picked up their first point of the season away against UCD in Dublin on Sunday and in truth they could have taken all three points only for a very late penalty awarded to UCD. Kerry took the lead in the 17th minute when a through ball from Martin Coughlan found Dillon Robinson who beat the last defender and keeper to score. Kerry were unlucky not to have extended their lead with some excellent play from Thomas Burke and Kevin Williams saw Dillon Robinson’s effort come back of the post. While Kerry were dominating the possesion stakes Kerry keeper Robert Osborne had to be alert to bring of a number of fine saves to keeep his side infront. Michale O’Gara did manage to put the ball in the UCD net in the 63rd minute only for it to be rule out for offside. Then in the 83rd minute came the controversial penalty decision . A high ball in towards the Kerry box where the Kerry derfenders challanged the UCD forwards, the referee awarded a free kick to UCD but his assistant made the decision that the foul had taken inside the penalty area. The referee change his decision and awarded the penalty which they scored to level the game. A much better performance from Kerry from last weeks second half performance and now they will look to the visit of Cabinteely Fc in Mounthawk Park on Sunday April 23rd .

Click here to view Dillon Robinson’s goal against UCD


After match comments ; Extract from

Kerry boss Darren Aherne said afterwards, “I’m delighted to get the first point of the season, which is also the first point away at U-17 Airtricity League level for the team”

“Points on the road are hard earned for us and we absolutely deserved this point. To be honest I’m a little disappointed to not have won the game,”

“The team put in a very disciplined performance, defended well and looked to hit UCD on the counter-attack which was the game plan.”

“We will now try to use this as a platform to progress our season, with Cabinteely at home on the 23rd our next fixture with hopefully another big crowd at Mounthawk Park.”

Comments are closed.