Oscar Traynor Cup 2nd Round ; Kerry DL 3-0 Defence Forces

Oscar Traynor Cup
2nd Round
Sunday 01-03-2015
Kerry DL 3-0 Defence Forces

Report and Pictures By Tommy Naughton

The Kerry District League advanced to the quarter final of the Oscar Traynor Cup with a win over the Defence Forces on Sunday in Mounthawk Park . In truth Kerry could have killed the game off in the first half with some excellent performances as they never let their opponents into the game in the opening half . The game was played in very blustery conditions and credit must be given to both sides who did their best to play the ball on the deck in the tough conditions .

The game started with Kerry having the aid of the wind in the opening half . Within three minutes of the kick off Kerry had the lead . Steven o Mahony sent a long free kick in towards the penalty area to where Kerry captain Aidan o Callaghan rose highest to knock the ball into the path of Gintarus Paketarus . Paketarus control the ball brilliantly with his first touch and with his next he passed the ball to the back of the net . Two minutes later Paudie Quinn’s well take free kick from the edge of the penalty area clipped the corner of the wall and was narrowly wide . Kerry were no well in control of the possession stakes and Paudie Quinn picked out Bryan Murphy with a diagonal cross field ball . Murphy’s first touch was sublime as he control the ball into his path with the out side of his foot before curling the ball towards the far top corner and but for the fingertips of the defence Forces keeper Tony Clarke it would have found the back of the net .

The Kerry defence was in total control in the opening half with Shane Guthrie in particular standing out . It took twenty one minutes before the Defence Forces created a clear chance when Niall Scullion curled a free kick wide of the far post . On the half hour mark Kerry broke on the counter attack with a quick ball out by David Hennessey . Sean Brosnan got into the penalty area where his squared the ball towards two unmarked Kerry players at the back post who only had to tap the ball home had it not been for a last ditch interception by Lee Delaney . The final chance of the half fell to Tommy Cullhane for the Defence Forces but his volley from outside the penalty area was easily held by David Hennessey .

Kerry made one change at half time which saw Sean Foley replacing Ger McCarthy and Bryan Murphy moved up top to partner Gintarus Paketarus . This change was to prove the match winner late on . The Defence Forces started the second half brighter than they did the first and could have been level when Chris Kenny got on the end of a Niall Scullion cross but he mistimed his shot and it rolled harmlessly wide . Minutes later Sean Brosnan intercepted a ball out of the back , Brosnan drew the keeper out and rounded hi before the keeper somehow managed to get back and get a hand onto the ball before Brosnan could get his shot away . Bryan Murphy went close again for Kerry when he was picked out with a free kick by Paudie Quinn , he chipped the ball over the advancing keeper but the ball narrowly missed the far corner .

Midway through the second half the Defence forces began to get on top as it look like the Kerry midfield were getting tired from their early efforts . Ricky Fox and Dave Long both went close before David Hennessey saved full length to deny Calvin Bradley from scoring in the top corner . On the hour mark the Defence Forces created their best chance to get level and will be wondering how they didn’t score . Ray McCann crossed to Cathal Doyle whose diving header from six yards out look goal bound but for a reaction save by Hennessey who somehow touched the ball onto the crossbar . As the ball came down it dropped to the feet of Doyle who was lying on the ground , as he touch the ball towards the line Hennessey recovered to dive on the ball before it crossed over for a great double save .

This seemed to wake Kerry up and Paudie Quinn brought the best out of Tony Clarke who had to save at his near post . Kerry were now limiting their opponents to long range efforts and with seven minutes remaining they finally got their second goal . Bryan Murphy picked the ball up inside his own half were he played it down the right wing to Paketarus . Paketarus drew the last defender towards him and play the ball in behind the defence where Murphy had continued his run . As he got to the edge of the box his calmly curled the ball into the far top corner giving the keeper no chance with the finish . Kerry made sure of the win with four minutes left after Paudie Quinn send Bryan Murphy through again to score at the near post this time .

Kerry Manager John o Regan will be delighted with this win and thrilled with the performance of his players . Kerry are away to Wexford in the quarter final on April 3rd and with many players missing from the squad on Sunday they will be full of belief going into the quarter final .

Kerry Starting XI and management against the Defence Forces

KERRY DL ; David Hennessey , Steven o Mahony , Shane Guthrie , Aidan o Callaghan , Kevin McCarthy , Sean Brosnan , Paudie Quinn , Con Barrett , Bryan Murphy , Ger McCarthy , Gintarus Paketarus . Subs , Sean Foley for McCarthy ( 45 mins ) , Seamus Keane for Paketarus ( 84 mins ) , Kevin Moran .

Defence Forces Starting XI against Kerry

DEFENCE FORCES ; Tony Clarke , Ray McCann , Dave Long, Lee Delaney , Tommy Cullhane , Ricky Fox , Jamie Enright, Chris Kenny , Calvin Bradley , Niall Scullion , Sean Gannon . Subs , Cathal Doyle for Bradley ( 58 mins ) , Barry Tourish for Gannon ( 69 mins ) , Alan Corboy for Fox ( 76 mins) , Scott Delaney , Noel McGee .

Match Officials & Captains , Kerry DL v Defence Forces

Referee , Stuart Templeman
Assistants , Adrian o Shea & Anthony Morrison .