Heroic Hennessy Unable To Keep Waterford At Bay

Categories :

EA Sports Cup – 1st Rd

Kerry League 0                                Waterford United 2

Highflying Airtricity Division League leaders Waterford United proved far too strong for the Kerry Junior League side, in this EA Sports Cup first round game played at Mounthawk Park on Monday evening.

The winning margin would have been much greater but for a series of super saves by Kerry keeper David Hennessy who kept Kerry in the contest.

Waterford United dominated midfield from the very outset with Gary Dunphy and James O’Sullivan controlling the middle and Liam Kearney was tormenting Kerry down the left flank.

Kerry were forced to defend in numbers with Damien Wallace and Irish Junior Stevie O’Mahony excelling and they held out until the 20th minute when Waterford United took the lead when James O’Sullivan’s diagonal through saw David Grincell race into the box and beat the advancing David Hennessy into the bottom corner.

The visitors doubled their advantage in the 35th minute when a quick free to Kearney saw his cross being headed home from close range by Willie John Kiely as Waterford United retired 2-0 in front.

Kerry were a different side in the second half, as they got to the pace of the game with Gary Keane, Mike Moloney and Brendan O’Driscoll creating chances but unfortunately for the home side they just could not hit the target.

Kerry made a mess of an indirect free kick inside the Waterford United box early in the second half as they poured forward but despite the efforts of Stephen Hayes, the Waterford United defence held firm.

Kerry introduced three second half subs, David Clifford, Stan Devane and Brian O’Reilly and all three played well.

Damian Wallace also had a fine game but Kerry rarely looked like scoring.

At the other end, Kerry keeper David Hennessy ( reserve keeper with the Kerry senior football team), made three stunning saves to deny Grincell, Kiely and then he somehow got a hand to a Vinny O’Sullivan, almost defying gravity in the process, as he turned the ball behind.

Kerry should have got a goal back in the 75th minute when Stephen Conway’s free kick was headed across goal  by Shane Brosnan  to Stephen Hayes who headed over from six yards.

It was O’Sullivan at the other end that was denied by the flying Hennessy and then United sub Gary Keane volleyed wide with the goal at his mercy.

This game was never going to produce a shock as Waterford United advanced to play another Kerry side Tralee Dynamos in the next round.

Kerry League

D Hennessy, S Conway, S O’Mahony, D Wallace, S Brosnan, P Hickey, T Lynch, G Keane, B O’Driscoll, M Moloney, S Hayes

Subs D Clifford for P Hickey (55), S Devane for T Lynch (72), B O’Reilly for G Keane (85)

Waterford Utd

C Konopka, P Carey, J Hayes, S Long, J Kearney, G McCambridge, G Dunphy, J O’Sullivan, L Kearney, W J Kiely, D Grincell

Subs; T Purcell for L Kearney (73), V O’Sullivan for D Grincell (77), G Keane for W J Kiely (86)

Referee; Keith Callinane (Cork)