Greyhound Bar KO Cup Final 2014

Greyhound Bar KO Cup Final 2014

Kerry District League
Sunday July 20th 2014
Listowel Celtic 1
Castleisland Afc 3

By Tommy Naughton

Castleisland Afc clinched a league and Cup double on Sunday afternoon after they defeated Listowel Celtic in the Greyhound Bar KO Cup final the blue ribbon cup event in Kerry.

In truth Listowel Celtic dominated the possession stakes and for long periods looked like they were the only team that would go on to win it but as Castleisland have shown for many years now they don’t care about the stats of possession as its the final score that matters.

The game was little only 20 seconds old when the Listowel Celtic defence was caught flat footed and Dean Poolman found Sean Brosnan who curled the ball low into the far corner of the net for an explosive start to the game. The poor start seem to spur on Listowel who started to paly some lovely passing football and their first attempt came after only six minutes when Jamie Barry crossed to Paudie Quinn who cleverly stepped over the ball to the oncoming Kevin McCarthy whose first time shot was parried by Kevin Moran and the danger was cleared by Shane o Loughlin.

Bryan Murphy was next to go close but his volley from outside the penalty area was just wide of the target. Bryan Murphy then sent in a free kick which Paudie Quinn headed over Kevin Moran who managed to fingertip the ball over the bar.

Listowel Celtic finally got level with 23 minutes gone when Paudie Quinn received the ball inside the penalty area with his back to goal his first touch and turn left the Castleisland defence dead as he riffled a bullet of a shot passed Kevin Moran .For the next few minutes it became a battle between Paudie Quinn and Kevin Moran.

Quinn first tried his look from the edge of the box but his curling effort was tipped around the post by a full stretched Moran . From the corner by Bryan Murphy , Seamus Keane headed the ball back across the goal to Quinn who header from six yards out was somehow saved again by Moran.

Two minutes later again Quinn went close but he headed over from a Eddie Joe Walshe cross . It was all Listowel Celtic now but they new they had to be alive at the back with the pace off the Castleisland break and with five minutes to the break Seamus Keane had to put in a last ditch sliding tackle on the edge of the box to dent Sean Brosnan from breaking clear through on goal.

The second half saw Listowel Celtic again on top of the possession stakes and Ian Murphy showed excellent footwork to evade two players but his curling effort was always going away from goal . Eddie Joe Walshe went close but his header under pressure from a Bryan Murphy corner went over the bar.

Listowel Just count seem to find the target and Bryan Murphy long range effort went over the bar before Martin Loughnane and Eddie Joe Walshe both headed chances wide for Listowel with under twenty minutes remaining . Castleisland had struggled to get any real possession in the second half but with only ten minutes remaining they again took the lead and in truth the finish was worthy of winning any game.

Ian Murphy’s attempted pass out of his half was blocked and the ball broke to Sean Brosnan on the right side of the pitch in loads of room , Brosnan drove forward to the corner of the box and curled the ball over the head of Aidan Carey into the far corner for a remarkable finish.

Within sixty seconds it could have been level again went Eddie Joe Walshe crossed low into the box , the ball bounced passed Paudie Quinn and hit Ian Murphy before rolling into the hands of Kevin Moran . Listowel Celtic now changed formation and threw everything forward but were hit with a sucker punch when Seamus Keanes attempted back pass was intercepted by Pa O’Rourke who was through on goal with only the keeper to beat.

O’Rourke went to go around the keeper who managed to get a hand to the ball but O Rourke was able to roll the ball over the line to clinch the cup for the Castleisland men.

Listowel Celtic will be very disappointed having played some fantastic football all season long and come away at the end with nothing but the future really does look bright for their club with so many young players in their squad . Castleisland Afc Captain Aidan O’ Callaghan accepted the cup from Kerry District League Secretary John O’Regan.

Aidan thank the league for the great condition the pitch was in and also to the officials who handle the game brilliantly . He then thanks Listowel for putting in a great effort and for a great season and said their is no doubt they will be back again. Aidan finally had a few words for their critics who have been out in force lately mainly on face book , for those out their who don’t think we are good enough ye might now gives us the credit we deserve as we have now proven we are the best team in Kerry this season.

Listowel Celtic ; Aidan Carey , Martin Loughnane, Seamus Keane, Micheal Lynch, Craig Sheehy , Eddie Joe Walsh , Kevin McCarthy, Bryan Murphy, Jamie Barry, Ian Murphy, Paudie Quinn . Subs ; Kevin Bambury for Martin Loughnane for (83 mins), Ricky Halpin for Craig Sheehy ( 90 mins) .

Castleisland AFC ; Kevin Moran, Mike Hannafin, Barry Lynch , Aidan o Callaghan , Paul Carmody, Sean og Kirwan , Shane o Loughlin, Timmy Walsh, Stan Divane, Dean Poolman , Sean Brosnan . Subs ; Jonathan Downey for Dean Poolman ( 54 mins), Pa o Rourke for Sean og Kirwan (75 mins), Tim o Donoghue for Stan Divane ( 89 mins) .

Referee; Derek o Shea
Assistant ; Adrian o Shea
Assistant ; Anthony Morrison .