Greyhound Bar KO Cup 1/4 Final 2013/14; AC Athletic v Tralee Athletic

Greyhound Bar KO Cup 1/4 Final 2013/14

Kerry District League
Thursday 05th June 2014
AC Athletic 4-0 Tralee Athletic

By Tommy Naughton

AC Athletic from division 1B have become the first team to reach this seasons Greyhound Bar KO Cup semi final after a comprehensive win over Tralee Athletic in Mounthawk Park on Thursday night.

The opening chance of the game fell to John Mike Dooley after a through ball by Barry Walsh but uncharacteristically John Mike missed the target with only the keeper to beat. Joe Kinsella went closest to opening the scoring after quarter of an hour but his curling attempt hit the far post.

Mark Dillane had to show good hands to hold a John McGillycuddy effort from a tight angle. Tralee Athletic who weren’t seeing much of the ball in the opening twenty minutes were creating the best chances and Dillane had to react quickly to save a Breandan Savage volley. Tralee Atheltic again nearly grabbed the lead when a corner dropped to Luke Reidy but his goal bound shot was stopped by Mark Walshe.

Just before the half time break the deadlock was broken. Adam Whyte’s attempted cross/shot from the right wing fell perfectly into the path of John Mike Dooley and he made no mistake with only the keeper to beat.

Straight from the restart Tralee Athletic nearly pulled the goal back when Jason Quirke crossed for Mark Sheehy but his header was just off target. AC doubled their lead moments later when Joseph Diggins chased down was seemed like a lost cause and took the ball off the defender in the corner of the pitch, his perfectly placed ball picked out the oncoming run of Mark Murphy who blasted the ball home from just inside the penalty area.

Within ten minutes it was game over from a Paul O’Grady free, John Mike Dooley rose highest in the box and his header across goal found the unmarked Joseph Diggins who finished home to put AC three up with little under twenty five minutes left.

Both teams were then reduced to ten men as tempers began to flare with Breandan Savage and Mark Dillane set for early showers. Tralee Athletic threw everything forward in search of a goal but found new keeper Paul O’Grady in excellent form in an unfamiliar position.

With six minutes remaining the game was ended when AC struck for their fourth goal with Mark Murphy getting his second of the match with a well struck shot that the keeper could only parry into the net.

AC Athletic: Mark Dillane, Paul O’Grady, Mark Walshe ,Anthony O’Carroll, Adam Whyte, Stephen Goggin ,Barry Walshe, John M Dooley, Shane Leahy, Mark Murphy ,Joseph Diggins . Subs; Brandon Barrett for Barry Walshe, Jason Diggins for Joseph Diggins, Conor Diggins for Shane Leahy .

Tralee Athletic: Antony Callaghan , Daryl Byrne, John Rael, Eoin Sugrue, Brian o Sullivan, John McGillycuddy, Luke Reidy, Jason Quirke, Joe Kinsella , Mark Sheehy, Breandan Savage . Subs ; Chris White for Luke Reidy .

Referee: Stuart Templeman