Denny Premier A 2013/14 , St Brendans Park v Killarney Athletic

Denny Premier A 2013/14

Kerry District League
09th March 2014
St Brendans Park 5-1 Killarney Athletic

By Tommy Naughton

Last season these two side met in a game that the winners would move on to take a place in the league final. This year its a totally different story. The Park after back to back defeats needed the win to get back in the title race, while Athletic are third from bottom just a place above the two relegation places going into the match.

The home side started the better and could have taken the lead in the opening ten minutes when Mark O’Sullivan put over after the ball fell to him from a Fergal Maunsel corner. Soon after Brian O’Reilly had Athletic’s first chance but his long range effort rolled harmlessly wide of the goal.

The opening goal came in the fifteenth minute from Mark O’Sullivan who was on the day the man of the match. After some wayward passing the ball rolled to O’Sullivan who fired an unstoppable shot to the back of the net from just outside the box. Within a minute it was nearly level but for a good save by Jamie Kelley at his near post to deny Lucas Polak.

Fergal Maunsel found himself through on goal after Sean Foley played him in but his pass across the keeper was stopped from going in by the covering Eamonn Ahern. David Neesan then hard to be sharp to save from Mike Conway and the Park were now well on top.

Antony Murphy and Pa McCarthy played a lovely one two on the half hour mark. Murphy’s shot beat the keeper but this was stopped from going over the line by Shane Doolan.

Lucas Polack taught he was about to level matters ten minutes before the break after Pedro Martins pulled the ball back from the end line but a sliding block by Fiachra Dunne stopped what looked like a shot on target from ten yards out.

Pa McCarthy was next to go close to doubling the home sides lead when he found himself with just the keeper to beat, he fired low and hard across the goal only to see the ball roll the wrong side of the post. Just before the half time whistle Mike Conway found himself in the penalty area and with two players free in the box he took the wrong decision and shot wide into the side netting.

The second half started and the visitors got the perfect start when after a long ball, the Park’s defence and the keeper seemed to hesitate and David Gleeson got between them to score and level matters. Pedro Martins then should have given Athletic the lead after David Gleeson sent him through on goal but Kelly saved brilliantly.

The home side did regain their lead ten minutes into the second half when Antony Murphy was left unmarked to head home a Mark O’Sullivan corner. Five minutes later and O’Sullivan got his second. Fergal Maunsell made a run down the left wing and his cross was headed clear to O’Sullivan who was about ten yards outside the box when he hit a first time volley that flew passed the on looking keeper.

Mike Conway nearly put the game to bed for the Park when Antony Murphy cushioned a ball down in front of Conway whose shot was stopped only by the frame of the goal from going in.

Atheltic Kept on throwing players forward and still believed they could get something from the game and nearly did only for some super defending from Fiachra Dunne inside his six yard box to deny Lucas Polak from getting on the score sheet.

With 12 minutes left Atheltic got the best chance to pull a goal back when they were awarded a penalty. Pedro Martins stepped up and put it low to the keepers left where Jamie Kelly guessed correctly to save at full stretch.

The Park killed the game off from here with two more goals in the final five minutes. First from Mike Conway after a long trough ball by O’Sullivan he lifted the ball over the on rushing keeper and finished off by beating the back tracking defender.

David Courtney still had time to get on the score sheet with the last kick of the game after good work down the right wing by Fiachra Dunne and David McLoughin.

The Park now go into third position with this win and are seven points behind second place with three games in hand. Atheltic still sit third from bottom and with only seven games left will know they need to pick up points quickly to avoid a worrying end to the season.

St Brendans Park: Jamie Kelly, Fiachra Dunne, Con Barrett, Shane Brosnan, Sean Foley, Fergal Maunsell, David McLoughlin, Mark O Sullivan, Pa McCarthy, Mike Conway, Antony Murphy . Subs David Courtney for McCarthy, Jesse o Sullivan for Antony Murphy, Adam o Rourke for Fergal Maunsell.

Killarney Atheltic: David Neesan, Connor Farrell, Shane Doolan, Eamonn Ahern, Samir Tomir, Martin Crowley, Brian o Reilly, Aidan Mulvany, Lucas Polak , Pedro Martins, David Gleeson. Subs Mason Feris ,Killian Regan , Gary Moynihan .

Referee, Adrian Grimes .