Denny Premier A 2013/14 , St Brendans Park v Camp United

Denny Premier A , 2013/14

Friday May 2nd 2014
St Brendans Park FC 0-0 Camp United

By Tommy Naughton

Many have criticized the tactics of Chelsea in the past few weeks when it comes to parking the bus but if this is what a side needs to do to get a result in is it any different from another teams tactics to win a match? Friday night saw St Brendans Park, who are in a tight race to reach this season’s league final host Camp United who are in mid table and little to play for in their league campaign but used a very defence minded tactic and showed great pride in their club to take a valuable point home with them.

The Park will be very disappointed with this result after dominating possession for the entire match they just could not find that little bit of creativity to break a resolute defence on a cold wet night in Tralee.

Camp had to call on Adrian O’Donnell to go between the sticks as their regular keeper was not available and a player who is better known for his attacking abilities should some credit for his handling in the wet conditions. The first opportunity came from the Park after ten minutes when Fergal Maunsel went to cross from the left wing but spotted the keeper moving to come for the ball and went for the chip which narrowly missed the far post with the keeper stranded and getting no where near the ball.

Moments after Con Barrett headed wide of the fare post from a Maunsel corner. Camp at this stage had set up with a 4-5-1 formation and were happy to defend in numbers while hoping to draw a foul and create a set piece any time they venture up the field as they played against the breeze in the first half.

Adrian O’Donnell saved well from David Courtney’s bouncing effort just before the half hour mark and then the home side came even closer when Mike Conway’s free kick hit the crossbar and went wide. Camps centre back pairing of Kieran O’Driscoll and Eoghan O’Neill were outstanding and never panicked as the Park kept driving forward.

Con Barrett should have put the park ahead after he broke out of defence with the ball before playing it wide to Adam O’Rourke and continuing his run. O’Rourke floated a perfect cross where Barrett saw his diving header go the wrong side of the post . Graham O’Leary was next to test O Donnell but again he showed great hands when holding a free kick that was heading towards the far top corner.

The final chance of the half fell to the visitors who broke quickly down the right wing just before the half time whistle . Aidan Crean took the ball from deep in his on half on the left wing and played a one two with Gerry O’Sullivan, Crean drilled a low shot to the near post which Jamie Kelly did well to deflect past the post for a corner.

The second half became more frustrating than the first for the home side as Camp began to grow in confidence with the fact they could get something from the game. Within a minute of the restart David Courtney shot over from inside the penalty area after good work on the right by O’Rourke.

The Park again were well on top of the possession stakes but in truth they never got behind the defence to trouble the keeper and were resorted to long range efforts which missed the target on to many occasions. Camp were awarded a free just after the hour mark which Aidan Crean floated into the box and was missed by everyone but scatted of the slippery surface and went the wrong side of the far post which the keeper seemed to have covered.

Over the next five minutes the park all had chances from Fergal Maunsel, Pa McCarthy and Guillaume Chevalier but each one was off target. Guillaume Chevalier then got a shot on target but O’Donnell saved well as it bounced of the wet surface.

With ten minutes remaining Camp were now sitting back without attacking and just kicking the ball anywhere to safety as the home side were now in the opposition half except for their goalkeeper. Mike Conway found himself through in the 89th minute but from a tight angle saw his shot saved by the feet of O Donnell.

There was to be five minutes of injury time to be played and the home side resorted to kick high balls into the box but all were to straight and O’Donnell came and claimed confidently each time. The final whistle went and the visitors have done what they set out to do in frustrating their opponents and had great displays from Eoghan O’Neill, Aidan Crean , Kieran O’Driscoll, Gearoid O’Shea and Kevin Greensmith while Adrian O’Donnell may well have found a new position for himself.

The Park will be very disappointed with the draw and with Castleisland winning at home by six goals to one against Asdee at the same time its leaves the second league final spot as tight as it could possibly be. Both sides are now level on 34 points with three games remaining each and the Park must still travel to Castleisland which is looking the winner will be in this seasons final against Listowel Celtic.

St Brendans Park FC: Jamie Kelly, Fiachra Dunne, David McLoughlin , Con Barrett, Sean Foley, David Courtney, Graham o Leary, Adam o Rourke, Mike Conway, Fergal Maunsel , Antony Murphy . Subs , Pa McCarthy for David Courtney ( 60 Mins) , Guillaume Chevalier for Graham O Leary ( 60 Mins ) .

Camp United: Adrian O Donnell , Kieran o Driscoll, Eoghan o Neill, Kevin Greensmith, Aidan Crean, Gearoid o Shea, Vince o Driscoll, Gerry o Sullivan, Fenton Houlihan, Johnny Houlihan, Francis Houlihan . Subs ; Mick o Horan for Francis Houlihan ( 60 Mins) .

Referee: Derek O’Shea