Denny Division 2B League Final 2013/14

Sun, May 25, 2014

KDL News, Previews & Reports

Denny Division 2B League Final 2013/14

Kerry District league
Sunday 25th May 2014
Mitchels Avenue 2-2 Tralee Celtic

By Tommy Naughton

These two Tralee sides will have to do it all over against after this final ended two apiece with both sides leaving everything they had on the pitch with Mitchels Avenue being only two minutes away from being crowned league champions.

Mitchels Avenue had the very first chance but Kerry’s Oscar Traynor keeper David Hennessey playing at centre back headed a Chris O’Sullivan corner wide of the target. Tralee Celtic’s first chance came after ten minutes when Fergal Moynihan picked out Jamie Blake but his volley from a tight angle missed the target.

Both sides were finding it hard to get any real possession as constant pressure was being forced on every player on the ball. Daire Dunne went close for Celtic following a flick on by Fergal Moynihan but his attempted chip was gathered by Chris Hegarty. Liam O’Sullivan was next to go close for the Avenue but his header just went over the crossbar from a Chris O’Sullivan free.

On the half hour mark Eoghan O’Leary saved well from Sean O’Reilly. Two minutes later the best chance of the half fell to Mitchels Avenue when Darren Breen reacted quickest in the penalty area to a dropping ball but his shot deflected out for a corner.

The final chance of the half saw David Hennessey break out of defence beat three opponents on his way before playing the ball wide to Chris O’Sullivan. His cross wasn’t cleared correctly and the ball dropped to Sean O’Reilly on the edge of the box but again his shot was off target and didn’t trouble the keeper.

The second half was only three minutes old when Stephen O’Sullivan was injured and had to be replaced and Tralee Celtic had the luxury of bringing on ex Irish Junior International Steven O’Mahony. Minutes later the clearest chance so far fell to Fergal Moynihan who picked up the ball on the half way line and showed his pace as he went down the right wing and delivered a low ball across the face of the goal but Jamie Blake was just inches short of giving Celtic the lead as the ball just bounced past him.

The deadlock was broken in the 53rd minute and it was the team who finished top of the league table who took the lead. Lorcan Seymour’s deep cross to the back post was headed back into the six yard box by Sean O’Reilly and Robert O’Sullivan was on hand to force the ball over the line.

The game was now opening up after the goal and Steven O’Mahony went close after being sent in by Billy Stack, he spotted the keeper advancing out and chipped the ball over him but watched as it bounce across the goal and wide. But within a minute it was all level and a goal worthy of any final. Fergal Moynihan received the ball just outside the box and floated the ball towards the far side of the box where Jamie Blake had positioned himself. Blake let the ball drop across his body before firing an unstoppable left foot volley to the back of the net giving Hegarty no chance.

Ten minutes to go and the game was again to explode when a long ball down field saw Tralee Celtic’s James O’Mahoney’s back header to his keeper land short and Jake Moran got in quickly before the keeper who battered into the attacker. The Referee had no hesitation in awarding the penalty and showed the keeper a yellow card. Sean O’Reilly took the responsibility on and made no mistake to give the Avenue the lead again.

Tralee Celtic now threw everything forward in search of an equaliser but were leaving themselves open for the counter attack. Jake Moran nearly made them pay in the 89th minute and could have sealed the game but for a great save by O’Leary at the second attempt.

As the clocked ticked away four minutes of added time were to be played and in the 93rd minute Tralee Celtic won a corner. Daire Dunne crossed it towards the edge of the box where Jordan Murphy headed into the danger area. A crowd of players attacked the ball within the six yard box but somehow Steven Mahoney forced the ball over the line. Seconds later the final whistle went on an enthralling finish.

Tralee Celtic will feel relived that the will get a second chance at this after scoring so late in the match while Mitchels Avenue who may be disappointed have now proven they can take on this Celtic team who have so much experience at playing in a higher division in the past.

Mitchels Avenue: Chris Hegarty , Liam O Sullivan , David Hennessey, Aaron o Connor, Peter Murphy, Chris o Sullivan , Jeffery Roche, Robert o Sullivan , Darren Breen, Lorcan Seymour, Sean o Reilly . Subs; Jared o Sullivan for Jeffery Roche, Jake Moran for Liam o Sullivan .

Tralee Celtic: Eoghan o Leary , Barry Leahy , Derek o Connor , James o Mahoney, Greg Powell, Daire Dunne, Stephen o Sullivan , Aidan o Sullivan , Billy Stack, Jamie Blake, Fergal Moynihan . Subs; Steven o Mahoney for Stephen o Sullivan , Jordan Murphy for Billy Stack , Michael Prendiville for Jamie Blake .

Referee; Eddie o Mahoney
Assistant; Anthony Morrison
Assistant; Willie Gorman .

Comments are closed.