Denny Division 2A League Final; Tralee Celtic 2-0 Mastergeeha B

Tralee Celtic , Denny Division 2A League Champions 2014/15

Denny Division 2A League Final
Sunday 28th June 2015
Tralee Celtic 2-0 Mastergeeha Fc B

Pictures and Report by Tommy Naughton
(Pictures Copyright to KDL & T.Naughton and cannot be used anywhere else without permission)

Tralee Celtic were crowned Denny Division 2A League Champions after they defeated Mastergeeha B on Sunday. This win means Tralee Celtic have now claimed back to back titles after the won Denny Division 2B last season. In truth this game never ignited into a classic final in very blustery conditions but both teams must be credited with giving their all in trying to claim the title.

The opening exchanges were very cagey with both sides trying to get to grips of their opponents . The opening chance fell to Tralee Celtic when Fergal Moynihan got on the end of a Daire Dunne cross but his heard was wide of the far post. The deadlock was broken in the fifteen minute after Daire Dunne set up Billy Stack just inside the penalty area, Stack drilled the ball low towards the near post where keeper Jerry Cronin could only get one hand to the fierce shot which found its way to the back of the net. Stephen O Sullivan tried his look from distance minutes later but was wide of the target with his long range effort. It was now all Tralee Celtic and Mastergeeha keeper Jerry Cronin produced a stunning reaction save to finger tip a Daire Dunne shot around the post.
Mastergeeha Fc first chance came from Colm Lenihan who drilled a shot from the corner of the penalty area which had to be touched around the near post by Tralee Celtic keeper Dermot Ragget. On the half hour mark Fergal Moynihan got in behind the Mastergeeha defence only to see his shot roll across the face of the goals and wide of the far post. Aidan O Sullivan was next to go close but again Jerry Cronin saved his left footed attempt. Colm Lenihan again tried his look from distance for Mastergeeha but was wide of the target as chances fell far and few between for Mastergeeha. Billy Stack nearly grabbed his second after he was at the end of a cross from Stephen o Mahony , Stacks header was somehow cleared of the line by Noel Moynihan. Tralee Celtic doubled their lead with eight minutes to the break. A Daire Dunne free kick on the left wing found its way to Derek O Connor at the far side of the penalty area, O’Connor showed great composer to get to the end line where he dinked the ball back into the danger area where Fergal Moynihan volleyed home with a great strike from twelve yards out giving the keeper no chance.
Tralee Celtic nearly killed the game off three minutes later when Stephen O Mahony dispossessed the last defender and found himself through one on one with Jerry Cronin, Cronin again saved brilliantly one hand but the rebound fell to Fergal Moynihan whose shot clipped the top of the cross bar before going wide. The final chance of the first half fell to Mastergeeha when John Devane saw his effort sail over the crossbar from just out side the eighteen yard box.
The second half never lived up the first half as Tralee Celtic now playing with the strong wind sat back and soaked up the Mastergeeha challenge. Daire Dunne whose deliveries from dead balls all day caused trouble for Mastergeeha saw his free kick from the right wing just missing the target after it cannoned of Kevin Gorman where it could have easily found his own net. Derry Ahern had the first chance for Mastergeeha but his free kick failed to test the keeper. Mastergeeha had their best chance to pull a goal back on he hour mark after Noel Moynihan cut in from the left wing before setting up Derry Ahern whose shot was well held by keeper Dermot Ragget. From the keepers long kick out Michael O Sullivan of Mastergeeha tried to head the ball back to his keeper but got to much on it and the ball lobed over the keeper Jerry Cronin who somehow got back to hook the ball of the goal line. Gearoid Kerins came of the bench for Mastergeeha where he immediately got involved beating three players in the Tralee Celtic penalty area before squaring the ball to Joe Joe Fleming whose shot was charge down by the excellent Derek O’Connor. The final chance of the game fell to Jamie Blake but again Jerry Cronin denied him with another fine save.
The final whistle went moments later and Tralee Celtic were worthy Division 2A League Champions. Kerry District League Secretary John O Regan was on hand to present the trophy to Tralee Celtic Captain Derek O’Connor.

KDL Secretary John O'Regan presenting Trophy to Derek O'Connor

TRALEE CELTIC; Dermot Ragget, Barry Leahy, Daire Dunne, Stephen Moriarty, Derek O’Connor, Billy Stack, Fiachra Dunne, Stephen O’Sullivan, Stephen O’Mahony, Aidan O’Sullivan, Fergal Moynihan. Subs; Jamie Blake for Aidan O’Sullivan(70 mins), Jordan Murphy for Billy Stack(72 mins), Michael Prenderville for Stephen O’Sullivan(79 mins).

Tralee Celtic FC

MASTERGEEHA FC B; Jerry Cronin, Pairic Sheehan, Ronan O’Sullivan, Kevin Gorman, David Fleming, John Devane, Michael O’Sullivan, Eoin Horan, Derry Ahern, Colm Lenihan, Noel Moynihan. Subs; Joe Joe Fleming for Eoin Horan(54 mins), Gearoid Kerins for David Fleming(62 mins) .

Mastergeeha Fc B

Referee , Anthony Morrison
Assistants , Adrian O’Shea and Thomas Sheehy .

Match Officials and Captains