Denny Division 2A League Final 2013/14

Denny Division 2A League Final 2013/14

Kerry District league
Sunday 15-06-2014
Rattoo Rovers B 2-2 Na Fianna FC

By Tommy Naughton

Rattoo Rovers B team and Na Fianna will have to meet again to see who will claim the Division 2B League title. Na Fianna started the game much the better and raced into an early two goal lead but a comeback from Rattoo Rovers in the last twenty minutes secured a replay for the Ballyduff men.

Na Fianna came out of the blocks on fire and took the game to the leagues table toppers. The first chance of the game fell to David Dillon from a Damien Murphy cross which was saved by John McCarthy. Mikey Moriarty was next to go close from a Tom Perryman cross but just couldn’t get enough on it to cause any real trouble for the Rattoo defence.

Rattoo seemed to be struggling to get to pace of the game and Na Fianna kept the early pressure on and after 30 minutes they got their rewards fro their efforts. Damien Murphy’s cross from the left wing was headed down into the ground by David Dillon but he reacted quickest to toe poke the ball passed the keeper. Eight minutes later Na Fianna doubled their lead when David Murphy was taken down in the box and Chris Lyons made no mistake sending the keeper the wrong way.

Just before the half time break Na Fianna could have made it three nil but John McCarthy saved from Tom Perryman.

Rattoo started the second half a different team and introduced Martin O’Connor and Padraig Harrington during the break and within three minutes Harrington came close but his header was just over the cross bar. David Murphy came close to extending Na Fianna’s lead but Kevin O’Conner was alive to clear his header from a corner off the line.

Rattoo were now getting more into this game and looked like Na Fianna’s efforts in the first half had taken a lot out of them in the very hot conditions. Stephen McCarthy had to slave with his fingertips to deny John Paul Leahy’s well struck effort.

With only thirteen minutes remaining Rattoo pulled a goal back after a great run down the left win by Gary Lynch he picked out the unmarked Martin O’Connor who made no mistake in finding the back of the net. Moments later Martin O’Connor had another great chance but rushed his effort and fired across the goal and wide of the far post.

Na Fianna with five minutes remaining had a great opportunity when a great passing move between Stephen Foran and David Murphy saw the ball being pulled back to David Dillon inside the penalty area, his goal bound shot was well struck and was only stopped by the sliding tackle of Sean Costelloe and won a free kick from the clearance inside their own half.

The free kick was sent long towards the Na Fianna box where John Paul Leahy flicked it goal ward’s but was fouled but referee Antony Morrison played the advantage as the ball fell to Martin O’Connor whose shot was blocked and rolled into the path of Kevin O’Connor who somehow forced the ball over the line to level the game in the 87th minutes.

Neither side could force a winner in the remaining minutes and a replay will be need before we find out who are the Division 2A Champions.

Rattoo Rovers B: John McCarthy, Sean McKenna, Gary Lynch, Kieran Godley, Joe Bunyan, John Paul Leahy, Eddie Joy, Kevin Bowler, Mike Hussey, Kevin o Connor, John Carroll .Subs; Padraig Harrington for , Martin O Connor for John Carroll ( 45 mins ), Sean Costello for Kevin Bowler ( 45 Mins ) , Sean Costello for Eddie Joy ( 66 mins ) .

Rattoo Rovers B

Na Fianna: Stephen McCarthy, Jonathan Toomey, Barrack Osas Menlegel, Joe McElligott, Tom Perryman, Mikey Moriarty, Damien Murphy, David Dillon, Chris Lyons , David Murphy, Paul o Connor . Subs Stephen Foran for Paul o Connor ( 66 mins ) .

Na Fianna Fc

Referee ; Anthony Morrison
Assistant ; Kevin Cunningham
Assistant ; Mike Dempsey