Denny Div 1B League Final ; Listowel Celtic B 3-1 CG Killarney

Denny Division 1B League Champions Listowel Celtic B

Denny Division 1B League Final
Sunday 24 May 2015
Listowel Celtic B  3-1  CG Killarney

Report and Pictures by Tommy Naughton

Listowel Celtic B were crowned Denny Division 1B League Champions after a win over second placed CG Killarney in Mounthawk Park. On the day Listowel Celtic were they better side helped mainly by Bryan Murphy and Paudie Quinn two players who are capable of playing at a much higher level if given the chance. To CG Killarney’s credit they never gave up and were only inches away from taking them game to a replay late on in the game.

The first chance of the game feel to Paudie Quinn whose free kick from about twenty five yards out curled just wide of the far post. CG Killarney responded very quickly and brought the best out of Shane o Sullivan in the Listowel Celtic goal after Mike Murphy put John Foley through but his shot was parried away by the keeper. Bryan Murphy was picked out with a ball over the top by Quinn where Paul Murphy was quickly out to challenge Murphy who lifted the ball over the keeper only for it to go the wrong side of the post. Listowel Celtic were now well on top and Paul Murphy saved well from Paudie Quinn before Bryan Murphy saw his effort beat the keeper but was cleared of the line by Ger Foley.
At the other end John Foley showed some excellent movement to create a chance only for a great bloke from Shaun McDonnell to deny his shot from hitting the target. Ten minutes before half time the deadlock was broken. Bryan Murphy controlled a high ball out of defence with one touch and with his second he played it in behind the defence to the onrushing Paudie Quinn . Quinn made no mistake as he rolled the ball under the legs of the advancing keeper. Mike Murphy nearly had the sides level straight away when his well struck shot from outside the box was just deflected wide of the far post with the keeper looking on. From the resulting corner by Joe Donovan the ball broke to Brendan Fuller whose snap shot rolled wide of the goals.

CG Killarney created the opening chance of the second half from a Joe Donovan free Shaun McDonnell head the ball clear but into the path of Brendan Fuller whose first timed volley missed the target. Paudie Quinn again showed his class with a reverse pass which fooled everyone to send Bryan Murphy through on goal but he could only find the side netting. Twelve minutes into the second half and Listowel Celtic doubled their lead. This time it was the reverse of the first goal with Paudie Quinn sending Bryan Murphy through who dispatched the ball clinically giving the keeper no chance. The third quarter became very scrappy with both sides failing to create any clear chance and new players were introduced to try have an impact on the game. With only fourteen minutes remaining CG Killarney got back into the game . A long ball into the Listowel penalty area and fell into the path of Sam Dobbins who drilled the ball home giving the Listowel keeper no chance at all . Paul Murphy in the CG Killarney goal denied Bryan Murphy his second in the final ten minutes when he was through one on one with the keeper. Ricki Hanley’s corner with three minutes to go found the head of Paudie Quinn and looked like it would find the bottom corner but for a clearance by Dwayne Griffin. With a minute left in normal time Mike o Connell saw his curling effort from the right side just curl past the far post of the Listowel Celtic goal .

Their was to be three minutes of injury time and what a three minutes they were with another goal and two red cards shown in the added time. Jerry Kelliher received his second yellow as he tried to stop a CG player going up for the final corner of the game in which every payer including the keeper had gone forward for. The corner was cleared into the path of Paudie Quinn who sent Ricki Hanley through on an empty goal. Hanley rolled the ball towards the net and was denied by the diving Mike o Connell who pushed the ball wide with his hand and received a red card. Shaun McDonnell took the penalty and scored it with the final kick of the game.

League secretary John o Regan and Vice Secretary Kieran o Regan were on hand to Present the League trophy on behalf of the Kerry District League.

Listowel Celtic; Shane o Sullivan, Derek Dillon, Graham Tarrant, Pa Burns, Shaun McDonnell, Mikey Paul Kelliher, Jerry Kelliher, David Lyons, Bryan Murphy, Paudie Quinn, Joe Joe Grimes. Subs, Rickie Hanley for Mikey Paul Kelliher (56 mins), Adam Toomey for David Lyons (89 mins).

Listowel Celtic B

CG Killarney; Paul Murphy, Dwayne Griffin, Gordon Buckley, Ger Foley, Frank Cronin, Mike Murphy, Joe Donovan, Mike Beckett, Brendan Fuller, John Foley, Mike O Connell. Subs, Sam Dobbins for Gordon Buckley (60 mins) .

Referee, Anthony Morrison
Assistants, Thomas Sheehy & Kevin Cunningham.